We tend to assume that future generations will always know who people are in photos, but (as you may have learned) that’s not always the case. So it’s important to understand how to safely label photos to preserve the information in them.

This is a common problem for our readers. One wrote in that, “Before I knew any better, all my family photos are marked on the back in ballpoint pen. Will this damage them? Will the ink eventually seep through? I now have an archival marker for pictures going forward.” Another wrote: “It seems that all the articles about photo restoration say not to write on the back of photos with anything other than a soft-lead pencil. Several years ago, I wrote names, etc. on the back of some of my photos using a waterproof and permanent ink marker that I purchased at a photography store. The pictures are still in perfect condition today. Is there any reason I shouldn’t be using this marking pen?”

Both of these questions address a similar issue: How do you safely label photos to identify information in them for future generations? Photo-safe products on the market can help you—as can these three tips for marking photos.

8 Steps to Organize and Preserve Your Family Photo Prints
Is your collection of family photos less than picture-perfect? Turn your piles of pictures into a model of photo organization in eight steps.